David M. Hoffman
Principal | Austin | 512-226-8154 | firstname.lastname@example.org
David M. Hoffman is a Principal in Fish & Richardson’s Austin office. Mr. Hoffman’s practice emphasizes patent litigation, post-grant review, patent prosecution, intellectual property counseling.
Mr. Hoffman has particular experience in high stakes patent litigation before the International Trade Commission and a variety of federal district courts. Mr. Hoffman has experience successfully managing cases from inception through trial and beyond on behalf of both patent holders and parties accused of patent infringement.
In addition to his experience in litigation, Mr. Hoffman has helped clients pursue patent rights in well over 100 patent applications in a wide variety of electrical and mechanical disciplines including semiconductor technology, memory, software, and wireless communications. Mr. Hoffman also helps clients in a wide variety of opinion matters and in Inter Partes Review proceedings before the United States Patent Office.
With regard to post-grant practice, Mr. Hoffman has particular experience assisting patent owners in the defense of their patent in inter partes review. With years of experience in both high stakes patent litigation and patent prosecution, Mr. Hoffman brings a combination of litigation savvy and patent office know-how that fits in well with the hybrid nature of an inter partes review.
Mr. Hoffman also has technical experience as a Configuration Engineer and Production Supervisor for Applied Materials, Inc. (2000-2003). While at Applied Materials, he performed configuration reviews on complex electromechanical semiconductor wafer fabrication equipment and was responsible for the supervision, training and certification of 34 final test technicians. Mr. Hoffman was also a System Analyst for Ford Motor Company (1995).
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Selected Speeches and Publications
- "Antitrust Update for Patents," October 31, 2013, Austin, TX, Advanced Patent Law Institute CLE
- "Litigation Holds and Spoliation in Light of Rambus," October 27, 2011, Austin, TX, Advanced Patent Law Institute CLE
- "International Patenting and Enforcement," July 15, 2011, San Antonio, TX, State Bar of Texas Advanced Litigation Course.
- "The ITC’s Unique Trial Related Procedures," May 23, 2011, Beijing, China, International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association, Section 337 Seminar for Chinese Enterprises.
- "The ITC’s Unique Trial Related Procedures," May 27, 2011, Guangzhou, China, International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association, Section 337 Seminar for Chinese Enterprises.
Awards and Honors
- Recognized as a 2013 Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- United States Army: Infantry Platoon Leader (1998-2000) and Company Executive Officer (1999). Texas National Guard: Platoon Leader (2000-2002)
- BS, University of Texas at Austin 1997
- BA, University of Texas at Austin 1997
Plan II Liberal Arts Honors
- JD, University of Texas at Austin School of Law 2004
Staff Editor, Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal