Associate | Washington, DC | 202-626-7783 | email@example.com
David Holt is an Associate in the Washington, DC*, office of Fish & Richardson. His practice supports patent prosecution and post-grant proceedings. In particular, Mr. Holt’s practice emphasizes drafting patent applications, examiner responses, and patent-related opinions. Mr. Holt also has considerable experience in post-grant proceedings from the perspective of both the petitioner and the patent owner, including presenting before the PTAB in a Covered Business Method (CBM) proceeding oral hearing.
Mr. Holt is technically focused on the electrical, computer-related, physics and mechanical arts. As such, he has extensive experience in the following technologies: Internet-driven solutions, network systems and protocols, data storage and retrieval standards and media, microprocessor and computer architecture, digital cameras and photography equipment, statistical data analytic solutions, mobile and other communications equipment and processes, display technologies, semiconductor devices and fabrication processes, signal and image processing techniques, complex optical and mechanical devices, error detection and correction techniques, telecommunications, financial processes, and acoustics and video standards and equipment.
Mr. Holt is a former Patent Examiner for the United States Patent and Trademark Office (2007-2008), where he handled patent applications in the digital camera art. He also worked as a software engineer for the Northrop Grumman Corporation (2005-2007), where he designed test software for ground-based radar systems.
*Not admitted to practice in Washington, DC – practice in Washington, DC, limited to federal courts and agencies listed below or otherwise authorized by law.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office 2009
- Virginia 2011
Selected Speeches and Publications
- Authored "Settlement Doesn’t Guarantee End Of Post-Grant Proceeding", article published in Law360 on February 14, 2014.
- Presented "Part XI: Standing Before the Panel: Strategies for Post-Grant Oral Hearings", as part of Fish & Richardson's Post-Grant for Practitioners webinar series.
- Presented "The New Age of Enforcement: Post-Grant. How to Avoid Being the Victim When Asserting Your Patents," The IP Strategy Summit: Enforcement, Washington, DC, May 29, 2013.
- Patent Examiner, US Patent and Trademark Office 2007 – 2008
- BS, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 2005
Computer and Electrical Engineering
- JD, George Washington University Law School 2011